On Macleay Island, Corroboree Point is believed to be a ceremonial ground and dreaming site. There is also a midden (a collection of shells, tools and bones formed after hundreds of years of gathering at that spot by Aboriginal people). https://southernmoretonbayislandstourism.wordpress.com/tag/history/
Corroboree Point. Well known as an important aboriginal site right from beginning, Corroboree Point was camp of oysterman Thomas Lucas.
Named by Surveyor James Warner after Alexander Macleay, Colonial Secretary of NSW, 1825-1837 Aboriginal name uncertain – either “Alcheringa” or “Jencoomercha”. Most maps use the former, whereas most council and government information refer to it as Jencoomercha. It was regarded as an aboriginal meeting place of spiritual importance, mainly for the women of the tribes. Later it was unofficially named Tim Shea’s Island after a convict who lived alone on the island for fourteen years, a name that lingered for many years after being named officially as Macleay. Jencoomercha – is the Aboriginal name for the island
Corroboree Place and Lions Park Macleay Island:
This site is highly significant for Nunukul people, whose ancestors used it for millennia. The remnants of a midden are under the soil cover at the northern end of the park. The midden, dated at 4,000 years old, has been severely damaged by subsequent development of the island. The waterhole in the Cotton Tree bushcare reserve would have been used by the Aboriginal people and, later, by white settlers. These settlers modified the waterhole to create the dam now seen.
In the slope above Boat Harbour Avenue was a cave the Nunukul people mined for quartz and ochre. In the 1980s the cave was filled in after subsidence. About 20 metres north of the end of Boat Harbour Avenue is a scar tree. The shape of the scar indicates that the bark of the tree could have been used by Aborigines to make a canoe. The tree is now subject to a tree protection order. A ticket-of-leave (paroled) convict, Thomas Lucas, was the first known nonindigenous person to live at Corroboree Place. He arrived on the island in the 1850s as an oysterman, and set up his camp at Corroboree Place. He later moved to Lamb Island, where his grave remains.