Tin Can Bay is a coastal town and locality in the Wide Bay–Burnett region in Queensland, Australia. The locality is split between the Fraser Coast Region and the Gympie Region, but the town itself is within Gympie Region. In the 2016 census, Tin Can Bay had a population of 2,242 people.
The locality of Tin Can Bay is bounded on the east by the Great Sandy Strait, a pristine waterway protected by World Heritage listed Fraser Island. The area is a Ramsar Convention Wetland of International Importance and an Important Bird Area of Australia. The town is located on a peninsula between Snapper Creek and the Great Sandy Strait
The town was originally called Wallu, but was changed to Tin Can Bay in 1937. The origins of “Tin Can” are uncertain, but is believed to be derived from an indigenous name, possibly ”tinchin” meaning ”mangrove” in the Yugarabul dialect of the Yuggera language. European settlement began in the 1870s as the point where logs would be floated to the timber mills at Maryborough. Tin Can Bay later became, and still remains, an important fishing port, with a focus on prawns as well as recreational fishing.
An important tourist feature is the regular arrival of wild Australian humpback dolphins which usually appear early mornings next to the Norman Point boat ramp. These dolphins can be hand fed under close supervision. Bird watching is another popular activity as Tin Can Bay is home to a wide variety of birds