The William Jolly Bridge is a heritage-listed road bridge over the Brisbane River between North Quay in Brisbane CBD and Grey Street in South Brisbane, within City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It was designed by A E Harding Frew and built from 1928 to 1932 by M R Hornibrook Ltd.
The style of the bridge’s design is Art Deco, which was popular at the time. Manuel R. Hornibrook’s company built the bridge that consists of two piers that were built in the river and two pylons on the river banks, which support three graceful arches. The rainbow arch type, as it was described, was claimed to be the first of its type in Australia
The William Jolly Bridge was constructed between 1928 and 1932 following the formation of Greater Brisbane in 1925, and was one of the first major capital works of the new Brisbane City Council and bears the name of its first Mayor, William Jolly.
Seventy-seven years ago today, the art deco styled Grey Street Bridge was officially opened by the Governor of Queensland, Sir John Goodwin, finally connecting Grey St, South Brisbane to Roma St at North Quay. The bridge was designed by local engineer AE Harding Frew and built by Brisbane construction firms MR Hornibrook and Evans Deakin, and the project provided much needed work during the Great Depression.